Arbutus GalleryCVAC’s new Arbutus Gallery is located next door to PORTALS. This space was generously designated by the Island Savings Centre Commission, January 2018, to enhance CVAC’s existing exhibitions and programming. CVAC is very excited to share with the public this 1400 sq ft space which allows for more comprehensive and larger shows that we were previously unable to accommodate. Our show schedule includes local, regional, as well as national and international content.
- Offers multi-faceted annual programming/exhibits that showcase local artists, engage the community and foster appreciation of arts and culture.
- Home of the Cowichan Arts Council (CVAC).
- PORTALS is a door to the arts.
- PORTALS is a major go-to place for arts and culture in this region
- To date, PORTALS staff has trained well over 100 volunteers.
- Hosts approximately 16 different shows or events each year
- Welcomes 10,000 guests through its doors every year.
- Operates inside Island Savings Centre through the generosity of the CVRD and the ISC Commission
The CVAC Youth Outreach Program (YOP) is a two-year, multi-disciplinary program designed to mentor, support and enrich the creative development and portfolio production opportunities of selected high school students in the final two years of secondary education from Cowichan Valley schools. This program provide students with needed assistance as they contemplate future careers in arts-related fields.
CVAC is offering a new service for members which combines our mandate to increase community outreach with exciting opportunities for CVAC artists. We have purchased a portable, easily assembled tent for member use at cultural events around the Cowichan Valley. Called Pop-up Portals, this program is about taking our multi-purpose exhibition space, PORTALS, out to the community, helping our members to practice their art in different venues while enriching community events with their unique voices. You can think of it as an opportunity to increase exposure to your work, improve sales, and do some community networking that could pay dividends in future opportunities.
- One of CVAC's few fundraising shows
- All small works, no bigger than 64 square inches
- Fun festive holiday time show, runs in conjunction with Christmas Chaos Craft show in the Island Savings Centre
- Designed for gift-giving
- Transforms PORTALS into a space full of tiny works of art
- All works submitted must be originals
- Click here for entry requirements
- Annual Spring show, 2019 will be the 50th anniversary of the CVFAS
- Cowichan Valley's largest open art exhibition and sale
- Showing in the Cowichan Suite and PORTALS, inside the Island Savings Centre
- Open to all CVAC members in good standing to display work in their genre
- Showcases student, emerging and professional art work
- Original work never before exhibited
- Judges select 1 Best in Show, 5 Awards of Excellence, 10 Honourable Mentions
- Peoples' Choice Award is voted by the public and announced at the close of the show
- 2019 Dates: April 29-May 5 (subject to change)
July Kids Camps
- Kids Summer Activities
- Accessible to all children in the Cowichan Valley
- Fun, interactive, creative, friendly environment
- Newly revived program by volunteer Gail Robb
- Satellite gallery space for 2D artists to show their work
- One month to two month rotations
- Benefit of being a CVAC member
Some facts about us
Number of members
Number of visitors per year
Number of volunteers
Number of years in the Cowichan Valley