With the 2011 opening of PORTALS – The CVAC Centre of Arts, Culture and Heritage, CVAC re-invented itself. Located in the lobby of the Island Savings Recreational Centre, PORTALS is our flagship program, offering an inspiring venue to experience multi-genre art shows and cultural events, free of charge.
PORTALS has hosted 77 shows and events since its opening in February 2011 and is fully booked with 31 shows until the end of 2017. PORTALS is open Monday to Friday, between 10:00 AM and 5:00 PM and on Saturday between 10:00 and 1:00 with extended hours for October through to Christmas. School children, library patrons, families, senior citizens, working professionals and tourists come into the Island Savings Recreation Centre and make a visit to PORTALS a part of their day.
To date, 29,672 people have visited PORTALS, representing tens of thousands of hours of exposure to many different art genres.
- Offers multi-faceted annual programming to showcase local artists, engage the community and foster appreciation of arts and culture.
- Home of the 46 year old, Cowichan Arts Council (CVAC).
- PORTALS is a door to the arts.
- PORTALS is a major go-to place for arts and culture in this region (a, not ‘the’, so we don’t offend other ACs)
- PORTALS is a member-user art space, not a gallery
- To date, PORTALS staff has trained well over 100 volunteers.
- Hosts approximately 16 different shows or events each year
- Welcomes 10,000 guests through its doors every year.
- Is in its 5th year of operation inside Island Savings Centre