With the 2011 opening of PORTALS – The CVAC Centre of Arts, Culture and Heritage, CVAC re-invented itself. Located in the lobby of the Island Savings Recreational Centre, PORTALS offers an inspiring venue for multi-genre art shows and cultural events, free of charge.
PORTALS has hosted more than a hundred shows appealing to all demographics as well as special events and is fully booked. This show space is open Monday to Friday, 10:00am to 5:00pm and Saturday 10:00am to 1:00pm.
More than 30,000 people have visited PORTALS, representing tens of thousands of hours of exposure to a variety of art genres.
- Offers multi-faceted annual programming to showcase local artists, engage the community and foster appreciation of arts and culture.
- Home of the Cowichan Valley Arts Council (CVAC)
- PORTALS is a door to the arts.
- PORTALS is a major go-to place for arts and culture in this region
- To date, PORTALS staff has trained over 150 volunteers to host exhibits
- approximately 16 different or events each year
- Welcomes 10,000 guests through its doors every year.
- Is in its 5th year of operation inside Island Savings Centre