Now Showing in PORTALS
Artist Gloria Daly
Ten Years of hand-stitched textile works
June 2 - 21
"Ashlar" Full view.
Daly’s art challenges the accepted need to find beauty in what is new. It asks the viewer to look for the inner beauty within the old and used.
The textiles she creates are labor intensive and thought provoking as they explore the relationship between yesterday’s discarded cloth and today’s philosophy of recycling.
Her hand stitching is a significant expression of her sense of personal commitment to each individual piece.
Daly holds diplomas and certificates in embroidery and design and an Associate Degree in Arts and Science from Vancouver Island University. She has received awards from BC Arts Councils and the Canada Council for the Arts. She has also exhibited two and three dimensional works with SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates), FAN (Fibre Art Networks) and SDA (Su
rface Design Association) groups. Her last exhibit “Blanket Statement – No Shame in Patches” has so far had 5 solo shows.
Daly’s works are in private and corporate collections in Australia, Canada, Japan and the USA.
Call for Recycled Materials
The Pop up PORTALS tent will be downtown during 3 days of the 39 days of July.
On July 4,5,6, from 1:00 - 3:00 pm anyone can come to the tent and create a piece of art using re-cycled materials.
This is a lead up to the ARTrageous Show to be showing in PORTALS later in July.
THIS is a call for materials deemed to be on your "Throw away" list.
ARTrageous- Turn Junk Into Art - Exhibit
Summer Art Camps
13 - 15 year olds
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Register with CVAC
- Offers multi-faceted annual programming/exhibits that showcase local artists, engage the community and foster appreciation of arts and culture.
- Home of the Cowichan Arts Council (CVAC).
- PORTALS is a door to the arts.
- PORTALS is a major go-to place for arts and culture in this region
- PORTALS is a member-user art space, not a gallery
- To date, PORTALS staff has trained well over 100 volunteers.
- Hosts approximately 16 different shows or events each year
- Welcomes 10,000 guests through its doors every year.
- Is in its 6th year of operation inside Island Savings Centre
- One of CVAC's few fundraising shows
- All small works, no bigger than 50 square inches
- Fun festive holiday time show, runs in conjunction with Christmas Chaos Craft show in the Island Savings Centre
- Designed for gift-giving
- Transforms PORTALS into a space full of tiny works of art
- All works submitted must be originals
- Annual Spring show, in its 46th year
- Cowichan Valley's largest open art exhibition and sale
- In it's 4th year of showing inside the Cowichan Suites and PORTALS inside the Island Savings Centre
- Open to all CVAC members in good standing to display their work (so writers don’t think they can’t come in)
- Showcases student, emerging and professional art work
- Members are encouraged to submit original work never before exhibited.
- Jurors select 1 Best in Show, 5 Awards of Excellence, 10 Honourable Mentions
- Peoples' Choice award voted on by the public. Their choice is announced at the close of the show.
July Kids Camps
- Kids Summer Activities
- Accessible to all children in the Cowichan Valley
- Fun, interactive, creative, friendly environment
Rent A Wall
- Artist's opportunity to rent 4' wide section of wall space or floor space in PORTALS
- Group show environment
- Allows emerging artists to get a taste of showing without having to produce a large body of work.
- One rotational period mid-show to change displayed work with new works.
- Opportunity for self-promotion
- Newly revived program by volunteer Gail Robb
- Satellite gallery space for 2D artists to show their work
- One month to two month rotations
- Benefit of being a CVAC member