Our July Kids Camps will be lead by CVAC members Gill and Richard Riordan. Here is a bit about them...
Gill and Richard are an English couple with a holiday home in Lake Cowichan. Both have copious experience working with young people both in formal education and in the voluntary sector. They have previously run art camps back home with the National Trust in historical country houses.
For more information call the CVAC office 250-746-1633
- Offers multi-faceted annual programming to showcase local artists, engage the community and foster appreciation of arts and culture.
- Home of the 46 year old, Cowichan Arts Council (CVAC).
- PORTALS is a door to the arts.
- PORTALS is a major go-to place for arts and culture in this region
- PORTALS is a member-user art space, not a gallery
- To date, PORTALS staff has trained well over 100 volunteers.
- Hosts approximately 16 different shows or events each year
- Welcomes 10,000 guests through its doors every year.
- Is in its 5th year of operation inside Island Savings Centre
- One of CVAC's few fundraising shows
- All small works, no bigger than 50 square inches
- Fun festive holiday time show, runs in conjunction with Christmas Chaos Craft show in the Island Savings Centre
- Designed for gift-giving
- Transforms PORTALS into a space full of tiny works of art
- All works submitted must be originals
- Annual Spring show, in its 46th year
- Cowichan Valley's largest open art exhibition and sale
- In it's 4th year of showing inside the Cowichan Suites and PORTALS inside the Island Savings Centre
- Open to all CVAC members in good standing to display their work (so readers don’t think they can’t come in)
- Showcases student, emerging and professional art work
- Members are encouraged to submit original work never before exhibited.
- Jurors select 1 Best in Show, 5 Awards of Excellence, 10 Honourable Mentions
- Peoples' Choice award voted on by the public. Their choice is announced at the close of the show.
July Kids Camps
- Month-long kids drop-in art sessions
- Accessible to all children in the Cowichan Valley
- Fun, interactive, creative, friendly environment
Rent A Wall
- Artist's opportunity to rent 4' wide section of wall space or floor space in PORTALS
- Group show environment
- Allows emerging artist to get a taste of showing without having to produce a large body of work.
- One rotational period mid-show to change out displayed work with new works.
- Opportunity for self-promotion
- Newly revived by volunteer Gail Robb
- Satellite gallery space for 2D artist to show their work
- Month to two month long rotations
- Benefit of being CVAC member